Teachers are special people. They make math and science fun and help your mind grow stronger. Did you know you can help a teacher learn more about math and science too?
Now, you have the chance to let your third-through-fifth grade teachers know how special they are by choosing them for a chance to go to a cool math and science camp next summer. The Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy is a camp where teachers go and learn about math and science through fun ways! The camp will be one week long and the teacher will learn with other teachers from across the country. Best of all, it's free for them, too. You can nominate any deserving teacher you know!
You learn a lot of cool stuff from your teachers everyday. But where do teachers go to learn more about stuff like math and science? Some teachers get to go to the Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy.
Learn About Us
The Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy is a cool summer camp just for teachers! At the Academy, teachers do lots of fun math and science experiments to share with you in the classroom. The experiments seem like games, but really they help everyone learn about math and science!
The Academy was started by pro golfer Phil Mickelson and his wife, Amy. They worked with ExxonMobil to create a special learning environment for teachers.
They are joined by math and science experts from the National Science Teachers Association and Math Solutions who teach the teachers at the Academy. They come up with fun ways to learn math and science while playing with balloons, rocket cars and marbles. Anything is possible in math and science!
What People Are Saying
Christopher W., Anchorage AK
The Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy is a one-week all-expense-paid intensive professional development program for third- through fifth-grade teachers. The Academy offers a five-day program designed to provide third- through fifth-grade teachers with the knowledge and skills necessary to motivate students to pursue careers in science and math.
Phil and Amy Mickelson partnered with ExxonMobil to develop the Academy in conjunction with the National Science Teachers Association and Math Solutions. The Mickelsons wanted to develop a program that inspires teachers from across the country in math and science and equips them with interactive teaching tools to ignite their students' passion for these subjects. They also wanted to create a program that helps to develop the next generation of science savvy citizens who will grow up to make the next breakthrough in medicine, in energy, or in any of the growing number of fields that require a solid foundation in math and science.
Two of the nation's leading teacher-training organizations, Math Solutions Professional Development, founded by Marilyn Burns, and the National Science Teachers Association, design the curriculum, provide instructors and manage the daily activities and logistics of the Academy.
Questions and Answers
- + What is the mission of the Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy?
- The Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy for grades 3-5 teachers is dedicated to increasing students' learning and appreciation of math and science by:
- enhancing teachers' mathematics and science content knowledge;
- demonstrating the interrelationships between scientific inquiry and mathematical problem solving;
- helping teachers use the tools of mathematics to build understanding and connections to science concepts; and
- modeling "best practices" in teaching and learning for teachers to use in their classrooms.
- + What are the goals of the Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy?
- The Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy aims to:
- deepen teachers' understanding of mathematics and science content in the areas of : data and statistics, measurement, force and motion;
- build expertise in facilitating student learning through problem solving and inquiry;
- use links between math and science to support student learning;
- understand how children learn and apply that to classroom instruction;
- build teachers' knowledge base and use of instructional resources to support students' learning; and
- network with others involved in elementary school mathematics and science education
- + When is the 2014 Academy?
- The 2014 Academy is July 21-25, 2014. Check back soon for 2015 dates.
- + Where is the 2014 Academy located?
- The 2014 Academy will take place at Liberty Science Center in Jersey City, NJ. The Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy pays for travel, lodging, food and all other related expenses.
- + I'm a teacher - how can I apply for the 2015 Academy?
- You can apply online right here: 2015 Teachers Academy Application.
- + When is the deadline to submit my application for the Academy?
- Applications for the 2015 Academy must be submitted by October 31, 2014.
- + How will the teachers be selected for the 2015 Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy?
- A panel of teachers from the National Science Teachers Association (NTSA) and the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) will review the applications received. After reviewing the applications, the panel will select the teachers.
- + How will I find out if I have been selected for the 2015 Academy?
- You will receive notification directly from the National Science Teachers Association.
- + I applied for the 2014 Academy but was not selected, am I eligible to attend the 2015 Academy?
- Yes, the Academy encourages all teachers to apply for the opportunity.
- + Who are the instructors at the Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy?
- The instructors are educators with years of experience from Math Solutions and the National Science Teachers Association. They share a common commitment to helping teachers make the transition to an inquiry and problem solving approach to teaching mathematics and science.
- + How is the Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy Curriculum designed?
- The week has been designed so that science is the content driver, and mathematics is the tool for learning the science. We used current math and science standards to define grade appropriate content for the week:
- Science concepts - Motion and Forces, Action/Reaction, Newton's Second and Third Laws
- The mathematics topics are chosen because they support the science content - graphing on a coordinate plane, linear growth, measurement, estimation, and data collection
- + When did the Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy launch?
- The Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy launched in 2005. Since launching, more than 4,000 United States teachers have attended the Academy.
- + Can I apply to attend the 2015 Academy, if I previously attended one of the Academies?
- No, the Academy wants to offer additional teachers the opportunity, so we cannot accept teachers that have previously attended.
- + What is the process to become an instructor at the Academy?
- Since launching, the Academy instructors have been educators from the NSTA and Math Solutions. At this time, there are not additional opportunities to become Academy faculty.
Click above to watch Phil Mickelson's testimony before the House Committee on Education and Labor on July 22, 2008.
Click above to watch Dr. Ramona Chang's testimony before the House Committee on Education and Labor on July 22, 2008.